File extensions let users and their computers recognize the category of the file and what program created that file. For example, we all know that a file with a .PNG extension is a photo or an image, while a file with a .MP3 extension is an audio file. There are just so many known file extensions because of various programs, including .zip, .mp4, .dmg, .csv, .doc or .docx, .apk, .ai, .html, and a lot more.
However, there are also a lot of file extensions that we don’t know about. One of these not-so-popular file extensions is .M3G. If someone sent you an M3G file or downloaded from the internet and you don’t know how to open one, this article should be a lot of help for you.
What is .M3G File Extension?
M3G is a file extension used by Mobile 3D Graphic files. These are multimedia files commonly used by some Nokia mobile phones, particularly the Nokia Series 40 series and other Nokia models that do not use the Symbian operating system. M3G files are most often used for 3D games or screen savers utilizing the Mobile 3D graphics format.
M3G, also known as Mobile 3D Graphics API, allows Java ME developers to get access to a higher library level, making it possible to manage and render 3D scenes and objects within the application or game. It is a 2ME Optional Package that enables three-dimensional (3D) graphics to be run at interactive frame rates on mobile and other resource-constrained devices.
How to Open .M3G Files?
To open M3G files, all you need to do is double click on the file and your device will automatically check the file extension to try and identify what type of file it is. If your computer recognizes the filename extension, then it automatically opens the file using the program that is associated with that extension. But if your file extension is not recognized by the device, you will receive the following message on Windows:
Windows can’t open this file:
To open this file, Windows needs to know what program you want to use to open it. Windows can go online to look it up automatically, or you can manually select from a list of programs that are installed on your computer.
This means that your computer does not have the appropriate program to open the file with. You need to install first any of the programs that can open .M3G files before you are able to access them.
Here are some of the apps that are capable of opening .M3G files:
- J2ME Development tools – Any J2ME development tool that has an emulator for phones, particularly Nokia phones, is able to open M3G files. Some good apps include the Sun J2ME Wireless Toolkit, NetBeans IDE, EclipseME, and others.
- Nokia Mobile Phone Software – Since the M3G file is mostly associated with Nokia, it only follows that you should first try installing the Nokia Mobile Phone Software. This utility allows users to access and edit files used by Nokia phones, including M3G files.
- Autodesk 3ds Max – This 3D graphics modeling program is usually used for modeling, simulation, animation, and rendering of 3D graphics. You can use this program to create 3D models for video games, films, and motion graphics. You can also open M3G files using Autodesk 3ds Max.
Once you have installed the necessary program to open M3G files, you can then set the file association correctly to make sure the file opens with the correct app. To do this:
- On you’re computer, open Control Panel > Control Panel Home > Default Programs > Set Associations.
- Choose M3G from the file type list, and then click Change Program.
- Choose the program you installed on the list.
- If you did not find the program from the list, right-click on the M3G file, then click Browse.
- Navigate to the Program folder of the app you just installed, then click on the executable file of the app.
You should now be able to easily open your M3G files using that particular app.
Can .M3g Files Contain a Virus?
Mpg files are legitimate files associated with Nokia mobile phones. It could store with the wallpaper for mobile games on your Nokia mobile phone. So if you find an M3G file on your computer this could mean that you have connected your Nokia mobile phone to your computer at some point. But if you see M3G files on your device computer and you don’t know where it came from because you don’t own any Nokia device, then don’t open it recklessly. It could be malware disguising as a M3G file. This behavior is typical of malware so you need to scan unfamiliar files using your antivirus or anti-malware program before you try to open them. If you think that your m3g file is malicious you can also use your antivirus to completely delete it from your computer before it causes more trouble.
If you’re running into errors and your system is suspiciously slow, your computer needs some maintenance work. Download Outbyte PC Repair for Windows, Outbyte Antivirus for Windows, or Outbyte MacRepair for macOS to resolve common computer performance issues.
Fix computer troubles by downloading the compatible tool for your device.