Discordhookerhelper.exe is a process associated with Discord, a Voice Over Internet Protocol (VoIP) application. Discord offers gamers a free chat, text and voice service in Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Linux and in web browsers.
Despite being a legitimate file, some users have reported unusual activities on their computer as a result of discordhookhelper.exe, which makes them think that it could be a malware. Which This begs the question, could discordhookhelper.exe be a malware?
Yes, it could be, as malware often disguise themselves by taking a legitimate file sounding name. But before you go condemning the discordhookerhelper.exe file as being a malware, let us look at some of the telltale signs of a malware infection:
- Unresponsive computer
- The Constant computer crashes constantly
- Increased CPU usage
- Distracting ads
- Slow performance
If your computer is experiencing any of the above symptoms, then it is probably infected by a malware that has taken the name Discordhookerhelper.exe.
Pro Tip: Run a dedicated PC optimization tool to get rid of incorrect settings, junk files, harmful apps, and security threats that can cause system issues or slow performance.
How to Remove Discordhookhelper.exe
If you are certain that the Discordhookhelper.exe process is not a false positive, then you can use a premium anti-malware solution to remove the malware and all its dependencies from your computer.
Likely, the malware has also downloaded other versions of itself on your PC and that is why you need to install an antivirus that will scan your entire computer for other malware entities.
Using an antivirus is just one of the many novel ways of dealing with the discordhookhelper.exe file. You can also try any of the following other methods:
1. Try Downloading Discord from the Original Site
If you are unsure whether the Discord the software is the one that is responsible for the woes that you are facing, you can simply uninstall it and download the same from the original site.
This might work because sometimes, older versions of software are incompatible with the Windows OS, some Windows updates, or other apps. If the problem still persists, even after installing the latest version, then you can be certain that it is Discord that is problematic. That would require that you install the software and look for an alternative.
2. Quit the Process
Have you tried quitting the discordhookhelper.exe process? Quitting a process means that it will no longer consume computing resources or run in the background without your knowledge. You can quit a process on both macOS and Windows computers using the Activity Monitor and the Task Manager respectively.
Here is how to use the Task Manager to end a task that is problematic or one that is using too much computing resources:
- On the Windows search box, type “task manager”. Alternatively, press and hold the Ctrl, Alt and Delete keys to get to the Windows security options. Choose Task Manager.
- On the Task Manager app, go to the Processes tab and look for the discordhookhelper.exe process.
- Right-click on it and choose End Task.
On a Mac, the process is similar, except that you will be using the Activity Monitor.
3. Remove the Offending Program
Supposing you don’t use Discord that often, then you can go ahead and remove the program and find an alternative that is less problematic.
Removing a program from your computer is very easy on both Windows and macOS. Here is how to remove a program on macOS:
- Click on the Finder icon, and then click on Applications in the Finder sidebar.
- Do either of the following:
- If the app is located in a folder, check for an uninstaller within the folder. Click on the Uninstaller and follow the onscreen directions.
- If the app doesn’t have an uninstaller or it isn’t located in a folder, simply drag the app to the Trash.
On a Windows computer, you will have to go to the Control Panel and under Programs click Uninstall program. From the list of the programs, choose the one that you need to remove.
4. Restore Your Computer
Both Windows and macOS have tools to help restore your computer to an earlier working state. On Windows, one such feature is called System Restore.
The System Restore feature will allow you to ‘rewind’ your Windows installation to a state when there was no performance issues. It will also help pinpoint the programs that will no longer be available after the process is complete. Here is how to use system restore on a Windows 10/11 PC:
- On the Windows search box, type “restore point”. Select Create a restore point from the list of the results.
- On the System Properties app, go to the System Protection tab and click on System Restore.
- Choose a restore point from the list of the ones that are available. Note that it is important to choose the most recent working restore point.
- Click on Scan for affected programs. These are the programs that will no longer be available once the restore point has been used.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
Unfortunately, macOS lacks the equivalent of the handy system restore option that is available to Windows users. Instead, there is a feature called Time Machine. To create a backup of your apps, files and settings, you will need an external hard drive, meaning that to restore your computer to a previous functional state, you will need to have made the backup.
Other Drastic Steps
If you have tried everything in your bid to stop the discordhookhelper.exe file error, including using an anti-malware solution, removing the program, and even restoring your PC, then you can take the drastic step of resetting your computer or installing a new OS altogether.
Resetting your PC lets you keep some of your files and settings, so it won’t be that much of a drawback.
Protecting Yourself from Malware
Whether discordhookhelper.exe file is a malware or not, it is prudent to have some tips and tricks on how to protect yourself from malware infections. Here are a few of these:
- Only visit safe sites that have a security seal.
- When downloading programs such as Discord, go to the official site. It is safer that way.
- Keep your computer and everything in it up-to-date.
- Check the authenticity of email attachments before clicking on them.
- Buy a premium anti-malware software such Outbyte Antivirus. Stop depending on free antivirus programs.
Hopefully, this article on how to stop the discordhookhelper.exe process has been of help to you. If you have any comments suggestions or questions please feel free to use the comment section below.
Vic is a search engine optimization expert, helping to optimize websites to make them more user-friendly. He’s been in the industry for more than 10 years, and his work speaks a lot about his experience and expertise in the IT and digital marketing fields.
Vic is the one in charge of keeping our website running smoothly and efficiently, to make sure that our readers have a wonderful experience while visiting the website. He’s good at troubleshooting errors and fixing Windows issues that come up either when playing games or working on the computer.
Vic is a certified gadget freak who feels the need to surround himself with cutting-edge technology. And this passion has helped him a lot in creating content that informs and guides users on using and troubleshooting the latest technology. He is an avid researcher who is always hungry for the latest news and updates on the most cutting-edge technology.