Is your computer experiencing problems stemming from the soundmixer.exe? Does this make you wonder if soundmixer.exe is a virus? In this article, we shall provide answers to these questions and more. We will also show you how to stop the soundmixer.exe process for good.
What is Soundmixer.exe?
Soundmixer.exe is a malware entity that may reinstall itself multiple times on your computer if its core files are not deleted. It works by corrupting important Windows files and adding its own entries. Some symptoms of a soundmixer.exe infection include sudden crashes, system errors, and unresponsiveness to some software and Windows processes. Soundmixer.exe can also give complete access to your computer to some remote servers. Hackers can then use the information they obtained against you for blackmail, financial fraud, or identity theft. The malware can also download versions of itself or other malware entities further compromising the security of your device.
How does Soundmixer.exe Operate?
If your computer is suffering from a soundmixer.exe infection, you probably downloaded the unwanted program thinking that it was legitimate. The download could have been in the form of an attachment, an infected link, clicking on an ad, or by visiting a compromised site.
Soundemixer.exe operates in the background and unless you are really careful, you may never know that your computer is infected until it is too late.
How to Remove Soundmixer.exe
Removing soundmixer.exe is no walk in the park as the virus can also exist in different names such as smvss.exe. That is why you need a powerful anti-malware tool, such as Outbyte Anti-Malware.
The anti-malware tool will scan your computer for any malware entities and remove them. More importantly, it will help prevent any future attacks.
How to Stop the SoundMixer.exe without Using an Antivirus
Are there other ways of stopping soundmixer.exe that don’t involve using an antivirus program? Yes, you can manually try and locate the soundmixer.exe process on your computer and remove it. Here are a few ways to go about that:
1. Use the Windows Task Manager
The Windows Task Manager is a very handy utility tool that tells you which apps and processes are running on your computer at any given time.
If you think that soundmixer.exe is running on your computer, you can use the Task Manager to locate the exact processes that are associated with the malware entity, stop them and find the folder they are located. From there, you can then delete them permanently.
Here is how to use the Windows Task Manager:
- On the Windows search, type “task manager”. Alternatively, press and hold the Ctrl, Alt and Delete keys.
- On the Processes tab, find any processes that you suspect are associated with soundmixer.exe.
- Right-click on the particular process and select Open file location.
- From here, you can delete the files that support the process but only after first quitting it.
2. Use System Restore
System Restore is a Windows restoration process that will return your computer to an earlier functioning state. You can use it to remove any unwanted programs on your computer. Here is how to use System Restore on Windows 10.
- On the Windows search box, type ‘system restore’. Click on Create a restore point from the search results.
- Under the System Protection tab, click on System Restore.
- Click the Next button.
- From the list of restore points on your computer, click the one that you would like to restore your computer to.
- Click on the Scan for affected programs button.
- Click Close.
- Click Next.
- Click Finish.
Using the System Restore this way can help remove any problematic programs from your computer. It is also a good way of monitoring what changes have happened to your computer.
Note that System Restore will only work if there is already a restore point to begin with.
3. Format Your Hard Drive
If you are not sure which of your folders, files, or programs is soundmixer.exe, then you can opt to erase everything from the affected hard drive and install everything afresh. This is a risky move and we recommend that you back up your file as a precaution. Here is how to format a hard drive on a Windows 10 computer:
- On the Windows search box, type Control Panel.
- Click Control Panel.
- Click Administrative tools.
- Click Computer Management.
- Click Disk Management.
- Right-click on the partition that you want to format and choose Format.
- Choose the file system and the cluster size.
- Click OK to complete the formatting process.
Formatting your hard disk will erase all the files and data on the drive. It will also eliminate any malware that may be hiding there as well.
4. Reset Your Computer
Just like System Restore, a Windows 10 reset will allow you to return your computer to an earlier functioning state. Here is how to reset your Windows 10 computer:
- Go to Start > Settings > Update & Security > Recovery. Under the Reset this PC option, select Get Started. Follow the on-screen directions.
- Alternatively, restart your PC to go to the sign in screen and then press and hold the Shift key while selecting the Power After the computer restarts again select Troubleshoot > Reset this PC. Follow the on-screen directions.
When choosing to reset your computer, Windows will ask you whether you would like to delete all of your files or keep them. Whatever choice you make at that stage Windows will, after the reset is done, return the computer to default. All of the installed programs, including soundmixer.exe will be removed.
5. Install a Fresh Version of Windows
Suppose you have done all that you can and you still get issues associated with soundmixer.exe, what else can you do? Well, there is always the option of installing a fresh version of Windows on your computer.
Installing a fresh version might cause some of your files, if not all of your files, to get erased and that is why you need to save them somewhere.
How to Protect Yourself from the Soundmixer.exe Virus
Assuming you have already successfully removed the soundmixer.exe virus. How do you make sure that your computer never gets infected again? Here are a few tips:
- Install a powerful anti-malware
By powerful, we mean an anti-malware program that you will probably have to pay for. Free anti-malware solutions are free for a reason, they simply don’t perform as well.
- Double-check attachments before downloading them
If you receive an attachment from an unfamiliar source, take time to check before downloading it or before clicking on any links. The best thing to do is to research and see if the source is genuine or not.
- Don’t visit suspicious sites
If you suspect that a site is not safe, stay away from it as much as possible. It may be used to infect your computer.
- Create a restore point on your computer
If you don’t have a restore point on your computer, it is time that you create one. A restore point will make it easier for you to return your computer to an earlier functioning state without much hassle.
Hopefully, this article has answered your questions regarding soundmixer.exe. If have any suggestions, comments or something to add, feel free to do in the comment section below.
A Computer Engineer by degree and a writer by profession, Cathy Trimidal writes for Software Tested and Outbyte. For years now, she has contributed articles focusing on the trends in IT, VPN, web apps, SEO, and digital marketing. Although she spends most of her days living in a virtual realm, she still finds time to satisfy her infinite list of interests.