Potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) are harmful to the computer. A notorious example of these entities is Search.basicgeneration.com. The presence of this PUP indicates that your system has been compromised.
The Search.basicgeneration.com PUP is a web address that pops up occasionally when a query is searched on the default browser. At times, one can get redirected to this address while surfing the internet.
What does Search.basicgeneration.com do?
A Search.basicgeneration.com hijack can happen suddenly. To make matters worse, it comes with an app that is not installed intentionally. This is due to various deceptive tactics employed by the developers of this PUP.
Fake updates alert and software bundling are among the tactics used to distribute this PUP. When the underlying program is installed, it configures the browser. This changes the browser behavior, leading to a display of a lot of ads, as well as sponsored links. The browser begins to perform endless redirects to dubious sites showing explicit content.
Those are only the visible issues to worry about. In the background, the PUP also collects a lot of information, including details of the affected user’s browsing activities, which is then sent to the perpetrators.
What to do about Search.basicgeneration.com?
Although browser hijackers are not extremely dangerous, their presence in the system should not be ignored. Remember, these programs tend to install without the user’s knowledge. There’s no way of knowing what other programs come with them. By the time you start seeing Search.basicgeneration.com, your system is already infected with malicious software.
Since Search.basicgeneration.com appearance is a sign of a malicious app infection, take immediate action. Keeping the app will not make things any better. Instead, you might end up losing more than the already infringed privacy. Since malicious programs collect and send data to the perpetrators, you can lose confidential and personal data. What’s more, one can also experience ransomware attacks.
We have prepared this guide to help get rid of Search.basicgeneration.com redirects. Once the hijacker has been removed, there are certain practices which must be observed and followed to ensure there is no repetition, ever.
How to Remove Search.basicgeneration.com
To safely get rid of this PUP, follow the guide below. Do not skip any of the steps for optimum results.
Before we begin getting rid of the virus, let’s first take a look at some useful security tips from our experts:
- Always download software from accredited sources or official sites.
- Always conduct thorough research about an application you want to install to understand its legitimacy and reliability.
- Amid the installation of a new app, always select the Custom or Advanced installation option to gain control on what’s being installed.
- Be cautious of misplaced buttons, always read the fine print, and uncheck all pre-ticked boxes to avoid all common installer tricks.
- Be aware of random software update notifications. Download updates from official websites.
- Get a strong security software suite and keep it running in the background all the time to receive alerts on PUPs.
Solution #1: Get Rid of Malicious Apps from the System
- Access the Settings app by pressing Windows + I keys.
- Now, access the Apps & Features tab by selecting the Apps category.
- On the list of programs, search for any suspicious applications with unfamiliar titles. Click to highlight and then select the uninstall button.
- Follow the prompts to complete the uninstallation process. Always pay attention to the removal instruction because some malware entities try to install other dubious programs during their uninstallation process.
Solution #2: Use a Strong Anti-Malware Removal Tool
This solution requires the installation of a reliable and reputable third-party anti-malware removal tool. There are plenty of anti-malware removal tools but only a few do the task thoroughly. Therefore, you must select wisely. Watch out for free anti-malware tools that don’t deliver what they promise. After all, nothing is for free. There is an under the table price to pay.
- Download and install a reputable anti-malware security suite.
- Once done with the installation, run the security program.
- Select the full system scan option to detect any dubious programs within the computer.
- Wait for the scanning process to complete. This may take a while depending on the specs and size of your system.
- Apply the suggested action on any malware content found (Quarantine or Delete).
- Restart the computer for the changes to take effect.
Solution #3: Double-check for Dubious Apps
You can use the pre-installed Windows Defender to check for any remaining malware in your system.
- Press Windows + I keys to access the Settings app.
- Now, go to the Update & Security tab before clicking on Windows Security.
- Click on Open Windows Security and then select Virus & threat protection.
- Click on Scan options under Current Threats, and then select Full scan.
- Wait for the process to complete and then apply the recommended actions on the malware found.
- Reboot the system.
Solution #4: Get Rid of Search.basicgeneration.com from the Affected Browser
Although browser platforms differ in layout, this guide should take you through the removal process of the Search.basicgeneration.com PUP on all browsers. We will base on the Chrome browser.
- Click on the 3 vertical dots to access the menu. Select Settings.
- Now, go to the Advanced section and click on it.
- Select the option Reset settings to their original defaults under the Reset and clean up section.
- On the confirmation dialogue, click on the Reset Settings option.
- Once done, restart your system.
When you complete these steps, your computer will be free from the Search.basicgeneration.com browser hijacker. However, you should always keep in mind that such malware can return if there is a lapse in your system security. If you’re experiencing performance issues after removing the malware, you can use a reputable PC repair software utility. This will bring your computer back to its best performance level by detecting and fixing any underlying problems.