Roblox is a huge multiplayer video game that lets you create your own games or play other games created by other users. It was released by Roblox Corporation in 2005 and has now more than 290 million mobile downloads.
To give you an idea of how popular the game is, Roblox has hit the 100 million monthly player mark as of August 2019, surpassing Minecraft’s 90 million active monthly players. And these millions of players spend more than one billion hours playing the game on various devices —Xbox One, Windows, Android, iOS, macOS, and Fire OS.
Because of the popularity of the game, it has become a huge target of malware attacks, especially since most of the players are younger in age, mostly around 13 to 17 years old.
One of the most recent attacks of Roblox virus is in the form of Robux, a cheat that is supposed to give players more in-game currency and improve gameplay. But instead of getting more in-game money, what they get is a virus. The problem is that players don’t realize it’s a virus until it’s too late. After installing Robux, they didn’t get any money and the game continues as is — as if they didn’t use any hack at all.
This is very troubling because the players are not immediately aware that malware has already infected their system. By the time they realize something is wrong, the virus has already done its job. So if you’re one of those who downloaded Robux: yes, you downloaded a virus. And you should get rid of it fast.
This guide will explain what the Roblox virus is, what it does, why it is dangerous, and how you can get rid of it completely.
Does Roblox Have Viruses?
You might be wondering: can Roblox give my computer a virus? The answer is no. That is if you downloaded the game from a legitimate source. When we say legitimate sources, it includes the Google Play Store, the App Store, and other stores where you download apps. You can also download Roblox from the developer’s website.
Now, if you got your game installer from a third-party app repository or other dubious websites, there’s a big probability that your game is laden with malware. But if you downloaded the app from legitimate sources, then you don’t have to worry.
The only way for an authentic Roblox game to be infected with malware is when you download additional software to enhance the game or in the case of Robux, to cheat. So if you play the game and follow all the rules, then you probably won’t get a Roblox virus.
What is the Roblox Virus?
The Roblox Virus, also known as Robux, is a malicious application that claims to be a hack for the Roblox game. The installer of the game is usually called Robux Generator v2.0 Updated 2018 or Robux Generator v2.0 Updated 2019. They usually change the file name so that users will think that the app is updated. The app poses as a Roblox cheat that would provide the player with additional in-game currency without spending anything. The in-game currency is used to buy items and upgrade features within the Roblox game. This is why the idea of getting more in-game money is a huge temptation for Roblox players.
What players don’t know is that Robux is actually a Trojan-type malware. Once you download and install the app on your computer, you will be asked to log in using your Roblox account to access the bonus money. But when youcheck the game, there isno in-game currency added to youraccount. This is because Robux only wanted access to your account information and other important data.
Once the virus has invaded the system, it facilitates the installation of another malware called Win32/OnLineGames. This Win32/OnLineGames is a Trojan that records keystrokes and steals login credentials for specific online games, then sends the gathered information to a remote server controlled by the hacker. Aside from stealing login details, Win32/OnLineGames also injects malware DLL files into system processes and registers malware Browser Helper Objects or BHO.
Where Do You Get the Roblox Virus?
The most possible scenario is that you clicked an ad about Robux somewhere and you were then redirected to the download site. The offer was so tempting so you decided to download the app and install it on your browser. Another possible method of distribution is by bundling the app with legitimate software you also downloaded from the internet.
These different types of malware usually work together to improve the chances of infection. In this case, the Trojan Robux worked hand-in-hand with adware and spyware to deliver malvertising to unsuspecting Roblox users.
Symptoms of Roblox Virus Infection
Trojans like Robux and Win32/OnLineGames works stealthily in the background until it gets all the information it needs. But what gives it away?
The first clue is the absence of the promised in-game money. If you didn’t receive anything, then you should be alarmed. Another obvious sign is when you notice unusual processes running in the background, even when you’re not doing anything. Another consequence of having this malware is increased data consumption. The virus is sending out information to the author of the malware using your computer and network connection. If you notice an unexplained spike in your data consumption, don’t ignore it.
Another symptom of a Robux infection is when you can no longer access your account or when you get a notification that someone has requested to change the password. This means someone is trying to get into your account.
So what do you do?
How to Remove the Roblox Virus?
The first thing you need to do when you think your computer has been infected is to stop playing Roblox and disconnect your device from the internet. The virus works by sending the collected information to the remote server, and it needs an internet connection to do so. Disconnecting from your network isolates the virus from the author.
Next, follow the steps below to completely get rid of the Roblox virus:
Step 1: Stop All Robux Processes.
If you suspect that your computer has been infected by the Roblox virus, close the app immediately, disconnect from Wi-Fi, and then stop all running Robux processes. To do this:
- Open Task Manager by doing any of these methods:
- Right-click on the Start or Windows button, then choose Task Manager.
- Right-click on any empty space in the Taskbar, then choose Task Manager from the menu that appears.
- Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete, then choose Task Manager from the options.
- Once you’re in the Task Manager window, look at the Processes tab and find all the running processes with Robux in the name.
- Right-click on each of these processes, then choose End Task.
- Do these steps repeatedly until all Robux-related processes have been stopped.
Step 2: Uninstall Robux From Your Device.
Once Robux has completely stopped running, you can proceed to uninstall it from your device by following the instructions below:
- Type Control Panel into the search box beside the Start menu.
- Click on Control Panel from the search results.
- Under Programs, click Uninstall a Program.
- Scroll down the list to find Robux.
- Click on it, then hit the Uninstall button at the top or right-click on the program, then choose Uninstall.
- Follow the on-screen instructions and wait for the uninstall process to be completed.
If you can’t find the Robux application under the list of apps or if you can’t uninstall the program for some reason, you might need to boot into Safe Mode to complete this step. Here are the steps to boot into Safe Mode:
- Click on the Start menu, then click the Power button.
- Press down the Shift key, then click Restart.
- Once your computer boots up, click Troubleshoot > Advanced options.
- Click on Start-up Settings > Restart.
- Press number 5 to choose Enable Safe Mode with Networking.
Once your computer restarts and you see the label Safe Mode on all the corners of your screen, you can then proceed to uninstall Robux using the instructions above.
Step 3: Run a Scan.
The next step is to run a scan to detect if there are other malware that may be lurking on your computer. If the anti-malware app detects other malicious software, delete them using the software. If you have trouble deleting the malware using your antivirus, boot into Safe Mode once again and delete the malware from there.
Step 4. Delete All Infected Files.
Once Robux has been uninstalled, delete all files associated with it including program files, the installation package or file, and others. You can also use a PC cleaner to make the cleanup process a lot easier.
Now that you have deleted the malware from your computer, reboot your computer and start doing some damage control.
If you think your Roblox account has been compromised, you might need to change your password and recovery details. If the virus has been in your system for some time, change all the passwords for all your accounts, particularly emails, messaging apps, social media, online banking accounts, and other important accounts. Report any suspicious activities on your online banking accounts to your financial institutions to avoid bigger trouble.
And next time, follow the tips below to avoid getting your device infected by the Roblox virus or other types of malware.
How to Stay Away From the Roblox Virus
Gamers are favorite victims of online attackers because they are very susceptible to temptations. Imagine how many people are searching for game hacks online just to cheat the games they are playing. To prevent this same scenario from happening in the future, here are some online security tips you should keep in mind:
- Download the game only from trusted sources. Don’t download from suspicious websites or app repositories.
- Never click on ads, even if the offer is so tempting. Free e-money? 100% save game file? New items? Adware is a popular distribution method of fake apps with hidden malware. So beware. Install an adblocker if you have to.
- Don’t download cheats or additional software with offers that are too good to be true.
- Keep your computer updated. Your operating system regularly releases security patches to update the system against recent threats. It will be a lot easier to detect malware if your OS is up to date.
- Install an Anti-Malware. Having a working security system helps a lot in preventing malware from infiltrating your device. Make sure to schedule regular scans to detect malware early on.
- Be vigilant. The most powerful weapon against malware is awareness.
- And most importantly, don’t cheat!