NationalSpecial is an adware that triggers intrusive ad campaigns on a victim’s device. Like other adware entities, it shares certain traits with browser hijackers, such as false search engine promotions and browser setting modifications.
What Can NationalSpecial Virus Do?
A computer infected with the NationalSpecial virus displays third-party ads and graphical content on any website. Most of these ads are intrusive and pose harm to the device. Not only do they slow down your browsing experience, but they also redirect you to untrustworthy websites that force you into purchasing fake software programs or execute scripts that are designed to install malicious software.
Once your device has been infiltrated by the adware, every search query you type into your browser’s URL will initiate a chain of redirects. In most cases, it starts by redirecting you to a site called akamaihd.net. After that, you will be taken to the Safe Finder website. More redirects follow until you reach a genuine website.
Even more, these redirects cannot be easily undone. Because access to your browser settings will most likely be modified, any changes you make will automatically be reset.
What’s more alarming is that when your device is infected by the adware, you will experience the following:
- Advertisements appear in random places you don’t expect.
- Your web browser’s home page changes even without your permission.
- The websites you normally visit will no longer display properly.
- You are redirected to a number of websites before you reach your destination.
- Pop-up ads appear out of nowhere, forcing you to download fake software updates.
- Some unwanted programs get installed into your PC without your knowledge.
But how on earth did your PC get infected by the NationalSpecial virus?
How the NationalSpecial Virus Is Distributed?
Adware programs like NationalSpecial are usually spread through bundled downloads. This means they usually come bundled with legitimate software packages as unnecessary additions.
To avoid acquiring the virus, make sure you pay attention to the terms and conditions. If possible, opt for the custom installation option so you know what programs are being installed on your device.
How to Remove the NationalSpecial Virus?
Do you think your device has been infected by the NationalSpecial virus? Lucky for you because we have the recommendations on how to get rid of NationalSpecial virus. Read on.
Removal Method #1: Uninstall the NationalSpecial adware
The first thing you should do is to uninstall the NationalSpecial adware itself. Here’s how:
- On your Mac, go to Finder and select Applications.
- Click Date Modified to sort all installed applications on your device by date.
- Find the NationalSpecial adware from the list and move it to Trash.
After removing it from the list of programs on your Mac, the next thing you should do is remove its components. Continue by following these steps:
- Go to Finder and navigate to Go > Go to Folder.
- Into the text field, input this destination: /Library /LaunchAgents.
- Click Date to sort the files by date.
- Check if the NationalSpecial LaunchAgents is installed. Remove it by clicking on it and moving it to Trash.
- Close the folder.
- Now, repeat steps 1 and 2. But this time, enter this destination into the text field: /Library /Application Support.
- Click Date to sort the files by date. Locate the NationalSpecial app and click on it. Move it to Trash.
- Close the folder.
Removal Method #2: Remove the adware from Safari
NationalSpecial may have left traces on Safari, too. So, make sure you get rid of them. Here’s how:
- Open Safari.
- Go to Preferences and navigate to General.
- Change the following settings:
- Safari opens with: a new window
- New window opens with: homepage
- New tabs open with: favorites
- Homepage: enter a homepage of your choice
- Next, navigate to the Search tab and change to default search engine to Bing, Yahoo, or Google.
- After that, navigate to the Extensions tab and uninstall the NationalSpecial extension.
Are you still having problems with the NationalSpecial adware? Then try running a quick malware scan. Let your preferred anti-malware tool get rid of the adware’s component for you so you can focus more on your tasks.
Have you encountered other malicious entities like the Norassie adware? Let us know in the comments.
If you’re running into errors and your system is suspiciously slow, your computer needs some maintenance work. Download Outbyte PC Repair for Windows, Outbyte Antivirus for Windows, or Outbyte MacRepair for macOS to resolve common computer performance issues.
Fix computer troubles by downloading the compatible tool for your device.