There have been recent reports about a group of cybercriminals on the loose looking to attack Mac users. Though the entities they spread don’t exactly ruin systems or leave traces of crypto mining components, it is said that they create malicious codes that are hard to remove from Mac devices.
According to cybersecurity experts, the target of their campaigns is the online side of computer use. They create plugins and apps and spread them onto macOS systems without the victim knowing. As a result, the browsers act up and redirect internet traffic and search queries to websites like searchmarquis.com
But, wait. What is searchmarquis.com? What does it do?
What is the Marquis Virus on Macs?
Search Marquis is type of virus manifestation that affects a victim’s internet experience. It changes the browser’s set-up, promoting its own landing page or redirecting searches to searchmarquis.com.
If your Mac has the Marquis virus, there is a chance that you experience the following signs:
- Your browser’s default home page is changed to searchmarquis.com.
- Your default search engine is changed to Search Marquis.
- Malicious apps, plugins, and browser extensions are installed on your Mac.
- Your search queries are rerouted to searchmarquis.com.
How Did Your Mac Got Infected by Search Marquis?
This notorious Search Marquis virus makes its way to Mac devices through freeware bundling. The technique involves the promotion of other apps or software programs that appear harmless and free to use. Although it’s a legit method, freeware bundling actually gives cybercriminals the opportunity to spread harmful entities and programs without the knowledge of the victim. Unless the Mac user has already ensured that the custom installation option is set by default, the virus will automatically infiltrate and attack Mac systems without the user knowing.
As soon as this happens, the virus is able to do what it’s programmed to do. It begins to affect a Mac user’s browsing experience, even without the permission of the administrator.
To make matters worse, the virus attacks all browsers it detects on a compromised Mac device. It impacts Firefox, Chrome, and even Safari, tweaking the homepage and search settings to its advantage.
Also, as with other malware entities out there, this entity is believed to interfere with the settings of the DNS server. It does so for added persistence. It even creates random-named profiles under System Preferences to further tighten its hold.
How to Remove Search Marquis virus from Mac
Considering what the Search Marquis virus can do, you’re probably eager to remove it right away. Well, you’re in for one great news. We have put together these Marquis virus removal instructions just for you.
Step 1: Remove Suspicious Profiles from Your System
In case you don’t know, profiles are created by IT administrators in organizations to control the activities and behavior of the devices in the network. These profiles can be used to configure a Mac to perform tasks, even though some of them seem otherwise impossible.
For a home setup, malware entities may take advantage of these profiles to prevent users from removing suspicious programs from the infected device. This means any suspicious profiles should be removed right away as cybercriminals might only use them to their advantage. Here’s how to remove malicious Mac profiles:
- Click the Apple menu and select System Preferences.
- Look for the Profiles Click on it and check for any suspicious profile. If you find one, click the (-) button and hit Remove.
Step 2: Remove All Malicious Apps and Programs
In this step, you need to remove all malicious apps and programs that might have been installed on your Mac. Here’s how:
- Go to the Apple menu bar.
- Click on any suspicious icon and choose Quit.
- Now, go to Finder and navigate to Applications.
- Go through the list of all installed apps on your device. Right-click on any suspicious app and click Move to Trash.
- Next, go back to the Dock and right-click on the Trash Choose Empty Trash to delete everything in it.
Step 3: Remove the Browser Hijacker with an Anti-Malware Software
There are many anti-malware software programs out there capable of removing the toughest strains of malicious entities. Make sure you use one that you can count on. Before downloading one, check for reviews shared by other users online. This way, you will have a better idea of whether or not the software program is effective.
In addition, make sure that you download a software program from the official developer’s site. You want to make sure that you don’t want to add more problems to your Mac.
Once you have one downloaded, install it on your Mac. Follow the steps provided by the installation wizard. When the installation completes, open the program and get started. Choose your scan preference. Normally, your options include Complete Scan, Quick Scan, or Custom Scan.
After choosing a scan option, the program should begin scanning your Mac for any malware entity. Wait for the scan to complete. It may take a couple of minutes, so be patient.
When the scan completes, you will be shown a screen displaying the malware infections that the program has detected. You can remove them or put them to Quarantine.
To complete the malware removal process, restart your computer.
Step 4: Remove the Search Marquis Virus from Your Browser
Finally, you will need to remove the virus from your browser. The removal process depends on the browser that you are running. See below for a detailed guide.
- Launch Safari and choose Preferences.
- Navigate to the General Check the default homepage and make sure it is a web page that you intend to use as a start-up page.
- Next, go to the Extensions tab.
- Go through the list of extensions on Safari. Uninstall any suspicious extensions.
- Open Google Chrome and access its main menu, which is represented by the three horizontal lines.
- Choose Settings.
- Scroll down to the bottom and select Advanced.
- Go to the Reset and Clean Up section and click Reset settings to their original defaults.
- You will be asked to confirm your action. Confirm your action by clicking Reset Settings.
Even though the Search Marquis virus does not result in fatal issues on your Mac, it is still crucial to have it removed as soon as possible. Otherwise, your privacy might be compromised. Use this article as a guide in the removal process.
Do you know someone who might be in need of this removal guide? Share this article now!