When you can’t boot your computer as you normally would, it is natural to panic. But if the cause of the problem is the Windows error code 0xc00000e9, then it’s another story. It is a common error in Windows 7 that shows a blank screen when you try to start your operating system. Thankfully, there are ways to fix the problem, so relax.
In this article, we will discuss what causes the error code 0xc00000e9 on Windows 7 and the various methods of how to fix it. If you are ready, let’s dive in.
What Causes the Error Code 0xc00000e9 on Windows 7?
Many reasons could trigger the Windows 7 error code 0xc00000e9, but it usually occurs because of issues with the BIOS settings. In other words, your computer couldn’t communicate with the hard drive. Here are other common causes:
- Your system files are corrupted.
- You have damaged registry files.
- There is no communication between your hard drive and the motherboard.
- The hard drive is damaged.
- The driver is incompatible or outdated. For instance, there could be a problem with the device like a USB flash drive that you are using to install Windows.
- Incorrect connection of a removable storage gadget, such as an external hard drive or USB drive.
- Your computer is infected by viruses.
It is not surprising that malicious objects within your computer could interfere with your registry files. Malware and viruses usually corrupt the Registry data responsible for booting the operating system.
How to Fix 0xc00000e9 on Windows 7?
Now that you know the possible causes of the Windows 7 error code 0xc00000e9, you can begin the troubleshooting process. We have suggested several methods on how to fix this problem. But before trying any of the recommended solutions, disconnect unnecessary peripherals, such as printers, USB disk, external hard drive, and speakers.
Method 1: Check for Hardware Compatibility
As advised above, try disconnecting all the external devices connected to your computer. One of them could have triggered the error. After that, restart your computer normally and see if the error stops.
If that is the case, plug your peripherals back, one at a time. Also, restart your computer after each reconnection. If you get the Windows error code 0xc00000e9 after a particular device, then you will have known the cause of the problem. You can isolate the device or replace it with a functioning one. Sometimes, you may need to update its driver (We’ll discuss that later).
Method 2: Reset the BIOS Settings
If you are getting a blank screen, try rebooting your PC through the hard drive. Here is the easiest way to change the BIOS settings:
- Shut down your PC, and then boot it by pressing the Power button.
- Press and hold down the button as you search for the right key to enter the BIOS settings. The key usually varies, depending on your computer brand. But in most cases, it can be the F2, F12, Esc, or Delete key. You may need to consult your PC user manual.
- Once you are inside the BIOS Setup Utility, navigate to Boot Options.
- After that, set your first boot device to be your hard drive. You can use the arrow keys to highlight the hard drive and press Enter to select.
- Save your settings by pressing F10, and then reboot your PC. Hopefully, it will fix the error.
Method 3: Update Your Drivers
Outdated drivers can also cause the Windows 7 error code 0xc00000e9. If there is a problem with the drivers, the hardware won’t communicate with the software. So, you need to verify if your devices are running the latest drivers. In most cases, Windows will pick up available drivers automatically. But in some cases, you may need to download them from the manufacturer’s website. Alternatively, you can use a professional Driver Updater to automate the process.
Method 4: Run a Disk Check
Running the disk check tool will help you isolate problems with your hard drive and probably fix the error code 0xc00000e9 on Windows 7. It will detect any damaged section of the drive. Here is how goes:
- Insert the Windows installation disk.
- Next, restart your PC to boot from the disk.
- Select your preferred language.
- Choose the Repair the computer option.
- After that, choose the operating system you want to repair if you have more than one on the OS installation disk.
- Under the System Recovery Options screen, choose Open Command Prompt.
- Now, type chkdsk/f/r into the Command Prompt window, then press Enter.
- Press Y on the keyboard.
- When you restart your device, Disk Check will kick in automatically. Keep in mind that it may take a while to complete.
Method 5: Use System Restore Points
If nothing else works, use the System Restore utility to roll back to a previous state when your computer was running smoothly. It means that you need to have created some restoration points. If you know of a recovery point when your PC was working fine, then follow the instructions below to get to that point:
- While booting from the Windows Installation Disc, go to Advanced Recovery Options.
- Next, choose System Restore.
- You will see a list of Restore Points. Select the one you want to roll back to, and then follow the on-screen instructions to complete the restoration.
Method 6: Clean Up Your PC
One of the reasons you experienced this error could be that your computer is full of junk and viruses. If your registry files or data relating to the system boot process, you may encounter a blank screen during Windows startup.
An issue with your hard disk could also trigger such errors. It happens because the lifespan of your drive depends on how you use and maintain it. If you have a lot of unnecessary programs running on your system, it could fill up your hard disk with unnecessary data. Since most of these applications store data on your system’s registry and hard disk, it is likely that your PC has accumulated invalid entries and suffered fragmentation, which can lower its performance.
For these reasons, you should scan your computer for viruses and unnecessary material, and then clean them up. Because if you don’t do that, you may end up buying a new drive or even damaging your computer altogether. So, what you need to do is download a reliable PC cleaning software to help you automate the task. We recommend Outbyte PC Repair because of its powerful features. It will diagnose your Windows system, and then clean out junk files and restore system stability.
There you have it. Hopefully, you have resolved the issue by following our suggested solutions. If you know of other ways to resolve the error code 0xc00000e9, let us know by telling us in the comments section below.