If you’re experiencing the PFN_LIST_CORRUPT error, this article has tips to resolve the issue. We will also briefly discuss the possible causes of the problem, allowing you to prevent it from happening again.
There is a reason why Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) errors are a nightmare to any computer user. Once you encounter this type of problem on your PC, the only way out is a hard system shutdown. This may lead to the loss of data that you were working on. Unfortunately, PFN_LIST_CORRUPT is considered a BSOD error. The issue happens when the Page Frame Number (PFN) list has been tampered with.
What Causes the PFN_LIST_CORRUPT Error on Windows 10
PFN_LIST_CORRUPT error stems from various factors such as:
- Device drivers that are corrupt, missing, or faulty
- Regular computer crashes
- Malfunctioning storage drive
- Corrupt or missing system files
- Corrupt OneDrive application
Note that this error is deadly for your computer, and in severe cases, it can lead to loss of data. If that happens, we recommend acquiring a trusted data recovery software. The tool retrieves the lost information before proceeding with the suggested solutions.
Once data has been recovered, create a backup. It’ll come in handy when applying solutions such as CKSK command which may lead to loss of data.
How to Fix the PFN_LIST_CORRUPT Error on Windows 10
Solution #1: Update Drivers
Faulty device drivers can be the cause of the PFN_LIST_CORRUPT error. To resolve the problem, update all system drivers and reinstall the ones you suspect to be faulty or corrupt.
- Right-click on the Start button to bring the power menu and select Device Manager from the list.
- Now, select the category with the devices you wish to update drivers.
- Right-click on the device to bring up the context menu, and then select Update Driver.
- Proceed to choose the ‘Search automatically for updated driver software’ option.
- The system will begin to check for the latest drivers compatible with the device.
- Note that your computer must be connected to a stable network for this feature to work.
- Once done, check for any corrupt or faulty device drivers and uninstall them.
- Reboot the computer, and the system will reinstall the drivers in the next startup.
- Restart the system once more and check if the error has been resolved.
Solution #2: Run the BSOD Troubleshooter
Windows 10 system comes equipped with a built-in troubleshooting tool. Use this utility to try and fix the issue.
- Press Windows + I keys to launch the Settings app.
- Select the Update & Security category.
- On the left, click on Troubleshoot.
- Head to the ‘Find and fix other problems’ section and click on BSOD error.
- Now, select Run the Troubleshooter.
- Follow the prompts and fix the problem.
- When done, reboot the system for changes to take effect.
Solution #3: Perform an SFC/DISM Scan
If the PFN_LIST_CORRUPT error is caused by missing or corrupt system files, SFC/DISM scans can help solve the problem. The System File Checker (SFC) is a reliable Windows 10 built-in utility. It scans and replaces any corrupt or missing system files with new copies from a local directory. DISM does pretty much the same. The only difference is that DISM fetches fresh copies from remote servers. It is best to execute both of the utilities to achieve optimum results.
- Press Windows + R keys to launch the Run dialog.
- In the text field, type “cmd” (no quotes) and press the Ctrl + Shift + Enter keys to launch an elevated Command Prompt. If prompted by the User Account Center (UAC), click on Yes to proceed.
- Type the following command and hit the Enter key:
- Wait for the process to complete and then reboot the system.
- In the next startup, access the elevated Command Prompt, using Steps 1 and 2 shown above.
- This time, type the command below and hit the Enter key:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- Wait for the process to complete. Restart the system and check if the problem is fixed.
Solution #4: Check for Hard Disk Issues
- Access the Administrator: Command Prompt, using Steps 1 and 2 demonstrated in Solution #3.
- Type the following command and hit the Enter key:
chkdsk /r /r D:
Note: Replace the letter D with an actual letter assigned to the affected disk.
- Let the system complete the process before rebooting the computer.
This utility can also help identify bad sectors and send instructions to the OS not to use them for reading or storing information. This means some data gets lost since the Windows will stop accessing the bad sectors. Even so, by using a reliable data recovery tool, you can retrieve the information.
Solution #5: Deactivate OneDrive
Since OneDrive is a default software on Windows 10, it can also cause PFN_LIST_CORRUPT error. To identify if the issue stems from OneDrive, you can disable it.
- On the taskbar search field, type Edit Group Policy and press the Enter key.
- Go to Local Group Policy Editor and navigate to Local Computer Policy.
- Then, select Computer Configurations.
- Follow the path Administrative Templates, Windows Components, and OneDrive.
- Click on Prevent the usage of OneDrive.
- Click on Enable before selecting the Apply option. Select the OK button to disable.
- Restart the system and check if the problem persists.
Solution #6: Repair Your Windows Installation
If none of the above solutions has been helpful, try this one. The method is to simply reinstall the Windows Operating System. At this point, it is safe to assume that the cause of the PFN_LIST_CORRUPT error is deeply rooted in the system. An installation repair is ideal in such cases as it also helps keep your data.
- Download Windows media creation tool and double-click on the installation file.
- If you’re preparing the installation media for another computer, you will need a USB drive with at least 8GB of free memory.
- Also, make sure you create a copy that is the same built with the affected OS.
- Now, insert the USB drive to the affected computer and launch the program.
- Choose Repair Installation over Clean Installation to keep your data.
- Follow the prompts to complete the process.
In most cases, BSOD errors are caused by malware attacks. Therefore, we advise running a trusted anti-virus security suite if you encounter the PFN_LIST_CORRUPT error. This measure can help get rid of viruses that may be corrupting system files as well as other software components.