Since Microsoft Windows 8 and 10 were released, a number of issues had been reported. Soon thereafter, Microsoft started releasing updates. While some errors were resolved, others weren’t. One is the error code 0xc000021a. But what is it?
What is Error Code 0xc000021a?
The error code 0xc000021a on Windows 8 and 10 is an indication that your PC has come across a problem, hence the need to restart. It usually appears within a BSOD. And when you encounter a BSOD, this usually means there is a serious issue that has damaged the internal structure of the Windows operating system.
So, why does this error code show?
In most cases, the error code 0xc000021a appears during a Windows update. After the update, Windows doesn’t usually boot properly. Instead, it shows this BSOD error.
There are two files that are believed to be the culprit behind this error. These are:
- The Winlogon.exe File – As the name suggests, this file is responsible for both the login and logout processes of Windows. It is possible that it has been damaged due to incompatible system files, a malware entity, or the installation of a third-party software application.
- The Csrss.exe File – Another possible culprit behind the error code 0xc000021a is this file. If damaged, this file can trigger the error code to appear.
How to Fix 0xc000021a on Windows 8 and 10
There are a number of ways to fix the 0xc000021a error code on Windows 10 and 8. We have listed them down below:
Fix #1: Boot Windows manually
To resolve the problem, you may need to boot Windows 10 manually. Booting your Windows into Safe Mode wouldn’t suffice in most cases. You have to boot it manually using force device drivers. For a more detailed guide on how to do it, follow these steps:
- Go to the Windows menu while holding the Shift key. And then, click Restart.
- This will take you to a screen with a list of options. Choose Troubleshoot.
- Select Advanced Options.
- Next, click Startup Settings.
- Press F7 to select the Disable driver signature enforcement option.
- Your PC should now restart and fix the problem.
Fix #2: Perform a full SFC scan
If any of the two files have been corrupted, then you can perform a full SFC scan to resolve the issue. Here’s how to do it:
- Open an elevated Command Prompt by right-clicking on the Windows menu and then clicking Command Prompt (Admin).
- Into the command line, input this command: sfc /scannow.
- Hit Enter.
- Do not abort the process. After the scan, any corrupted files on your PC should be resolved.
Fix #3: Reset your PC’s BIOS
Some users affected by the error code have found success in resolving the problem by simply reset the BIOS of their PCs. Relax. While this sounds like a complicated fix, it’s actually not. To reset your PC’s BIOS, follow these steps:
- Turn off your PC.
- Remove all cables from your PC. Make sure that it does not have access to electricity.
- Open your PC’s chassis.
- Find the CMOS battery. It should be conveniently located near the motherboard. Remove it.
- Wait for two minutes.
- Put back the battery.
- Restart your computer and check if your PC reboots normally.
Fix #4: Repair your PC’s disk drive
This process involves running a quick Check Disk scan to locate and fix any potential problem. Here’s how to do it:
- Press the Shift key while clicking the Windows button.
- Select Restart.
- Once your PC has rebooted, go to Choose an Option and select Troubleshoot.
- Click Advanced Options.
- Choose Command Prompt.
- Into the command line, input D: and hit Enter. You can change the letter of the driver where your Windows files are stored.
- Into the command line, input this command: chk disk /f /r.
- Hit Enter.
- If prompted, press Y.
- Wait for the scanning process to be completed.
- Restart your PC.
It’s quite easy to resolve the 0xc000021a error code. You can always perform a manual boot or an SFC scan. If it doesn’t work, you can reset your PC’s BIOS. If all else fails, repair your computer’s disk drive. As long as you follow the steps, you should get by smoothly.
What other Windows BSOD errors have you encountered before? Share your experience with us below!
If you’re running into errors and your system is suspiciously slow, your computer needs some maintenance work. Download Outbyte PC Repair for Windows, Outbyte Antivirus for Windows, or Outbyte MacRepair for macOS to resolve common computer performance issues.
Fix computer troubles by downloading the compatible tool for your device.