DirectX is one of the most important components of Windows devices. Without it, many multimedia and gaming applications won’t execute properly. So, if you are getting an error message associated with the DirectX component, then we’d understand your frustration.
But don’t worry because we have good news for you. In this article, we will discuss one annoying DirectX error: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG.
The DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG Error
Are you getting the error message “GetDeviceRemovedReason” failed with DXGI_Error_Device_Hung? You are not alone. Many Windows gaming enthusiasts have reportedly encountered similar error messages, only that they varied depending on the games they had tried to open.
Pro Tip: Run a dedicated PC optimization tool to get rid of incorrect settings, junk files, harmful apps, and security threats that can cause system issues or slow performance.
- dxgi error device hung apex
- dxgi error device hung apex legends
- dxgi error device hung shadow of the tomb raider
- dxgi error device hung fifa 20
- dxgi error device hung kingdom come
As mentioned, DirectX is a built-in Microsoft application that is designed to handle games. If any issue associated with it surfaces at random, then you might not be able to play your favorite game. You need to resolve the problem first to prevent the game from crashing.
What Causes the DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG Error?
There are many possible reasons that trigger the error message to appear. However, the most common causes are the following:
- Outdated graphics card driver
- Improper game configuration
- Overclocked CPU
- Stability issues
- Faulty DirectX software
How to Fix the DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG Error
Yes, you can update DirectX to fix the problem, but there are other solutions that are worth trying, too. We’ve shared some fixes that we know below. You don’t have to try all of them. Just work your way down the list until you find a fix that works for you.
Fix #1: Update your graphics card driver
One of the easiest and most basic troubleshooting solutions when it comes to fixing video game-related problems is to update the graphics card driver.
Follow the detailed guide below to learn how to update the graphics card driver:
- Press the Windows + R keys to launch the Run
- Into the text field, input devmgmt.msc and hit Enter. This will launch the Device Manager.
- Next, scroll down and find Display Adapters. Double-click on it to expand it.
- Right-click on your graphics card driver and select Update Driver.
- In the window that pops up, choose the Search automatically for updated driver software option.
- At this point, your computer will start searching the web for the latest driver software that is compatible with your device. Wait as Windows downloads and installs it.
- Once the latest graphics card driver software has been installed, restart your computer so the changes will take effect.
- Now, run the game again and check if the error message still persists.
Alternatively, you can automate the entire process by using a driver updater tool. Download and install one so you need not manually search for a graphics card driver that is compatible with your computer.
Fix #2: Do not overclock your CPU
Increasing your CPU speed can crash your multimedia and gaming apps. When the processes are already too much to handle for your CPU, there is a chance that it will throw the DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG error.
If you overclocked your CPU, make sure you change it back to its default setting. Here’s how:
- Restart your computer.
- When you see the Windows logo, immediately press F2 or Del to enter BIOS.
- Navigate to Advanced Chipset Features and select CPU Multiplier.
- Choose the Restore Default Settings option and hit Enter.
- Press F10 to apply the changes.
- Exit BIOS.
- Restart your computer and re-run the game. See if the error message is gone now.
Fix #3: Update DirectX
As the error message suggests, the error is associated with the DirectX component of your Windows computer. So, updating it might just fix the problem.
Now, to update DirectX, it is important that you know the version installed on your computer. if you do not know how to check it, you may follow the instructions below:
- Press the Windows + R keys to open the Run utility.
- Into the text field, input dxdiag and hit Enter. This will open the DirectX Diagnostic Tool.
- Navigate to the System tab and check your current DirectX version.
Once you know the DirectX version running on your computer, update DirectX by following these steps:
- Into the Search bar, input check and hit Enter.
- From the list of results, select Check for Updates.
- Follow the on-screen prompts and let Windows automatically download and install the latest DirectX version.
Fix #4: Add a new Registry key
This fix might seem a bit complicated, but as long as you go through each step carefully, then you need not worry about anything.
Here’s how to add a new registry entry:
- Into the search bar, input registry and hit Enter.
- From the list of results that appear, click Registry Editor App.
- Go to this location: computer > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > System > CurrentControlSet > Control > Graphics Drivers
- At this point, you should be in the Graphics Drivers folder.
- Right-click on any empty area and select New.
- Add a new registry key by choosing QWORD (64-bit).
- Name the new key as TdrLevel.
- Double-click on it and modify some settings. Under Value Date, set the value to 0. Also, under the Base section, choose Hexadecimal.
- Click OK and restart your computer.
Fix #5: Optimize your PC
Junk and unnecessary files may cause your applications and games to crash. Fortunately, it is easier to remove these unwanted files today, without having to fear about damaging your operating system. All you need is a reliable PC repair tool.
In just a few clicks, all types of PC junk, including user and system temporary files, unused issue logs, web browser cache, temporary Sun Java files, and leftover Windows Update files, can be removed.
There you have it! Hopefully, one of the fixes above has resolved the DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG error. However, if all else fails, do not hesitate to seek help from professionals.
Do you know other possible fixes to the DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG error? We’d like to know. Share them in the comments!